(urth) Merryn and Triskele

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Wed Apr 5 21:13:57 PDT 2006

On Apr 5, 2006, at 10:54 PM, <thalassocrat at nym.hush.com>
<thalassocrat at nym.hush.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:35:54 +1000 Dan'l Danehy-Oakes
> <danldo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 4/5/06, thalassocrat at nym.hush.com <thalassocrat at nym.hush.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Quite a lot more time than a week must separate Silk's visit to
>>> Urth
>>> from Dorp (RTTW Ch 13) & his final visit from New Viron (Ch 19).
>>
>> Is it clear that more than a week passes _for Sev_? I ask because
>> we know that at least some of the Narrator's astral travels are
>> also
>> travels in time...
>
> Do we know that? Not denying it, but I don't recall anything which
> suggests time travelling.

I'm deeply suspicious that the accelerations allowable in the Whorl
(without the lakes sloshing all over everywhere, etc) would give you
sufficient relativistic compression to make a thousand-year journey
only last 300.  Michael Andre-Driussi and I have batted this one
around a little, and the question comes down to, "how fast can the
Whorl accelerate."

So, uh, SilkHorn would seem to be going into the *future*.  Not
merely outside the light cone, but into the future even if there IS a
Universal Time (me, I don't see what's wrong with regarding the
comoving frame as Really At Rest and thereby declaring time, relative
to the comoving frame, to be Real Time, and applying relativistic
shrinkage to everything else).

Adam