(urth) Merryn and Triskele

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Wed Apr 5 17:54:31 PDT 2006

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 06:54:21 +1000 "Roy C. Lackey"
<rclackey at stic.net> wrote:
>For the record, Sev had Triskele for only a week. (SHADOW, chapter

>IV, p-31,
>Timescape hb.)

I posted this back in 2003:

Quite a lot more time than a week must separate Silk's visit to
Urth
from Dorp (RTTW Ch 13) & his final visit from New Viron (Ch 19).
But in
both passages, Sev has Triskele, whereas in Shadow Sev tells us he
only
had the dog for a week - Ch IV: "A week after I had carried him
down, I
found only Triskele's hobbling footprints in the mud..."

Either:

(1) Wolfe made a little mistake.
(2) Silk can & does astral travel through time as well as space.
(3) Silk's first visit somehow changes things, so that Triskele
stays
longer (the blankets he has in RTTW aren't mentioned in Shadow ...)
(4) Some other thing.

I pick (1).

I can't remember the detqails of the longer-than-a-week conclusion,
but I recall it was pretty obvious. Now instead of picking (1) I'm
suggesting that (3) is worth thinking about.