(urth) Soldier: Hegesistratus the Lame Lycanthrope

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 1 14:22:55 PST 2006

Well, when thinking about Ares, also recall what Diokles has to say about
him in S. of Arete - met with, I believe, some approval from Latro:

"Old Ares isn't some kind of monster, see? Think of him as a plain man that
wants to win the war and get back home to Aphrodite. He's for training,
discipline, and fair play with the men. And he whistles when he loses just
like he whistles when he wins."

There is some compassion, or at least justice, in this figure.

Now that you mention it though, the bit about whistling when he loses just
like he whistles when he wins stirs up some memory I can't quite recall.
Isn't there some statement or other that the (Christian) man of faith always
hopes for the best, but nonetheless is never disappointed if he doesn't
happen to get it, treating each with a sort of happy equanimity? I am of
course paraphrasing, because I just can't bring it to mind. The reason this
stands out a bit to me is that I don't know whether Ares had that sort of
equanimity associated with him, historically. Most of the gods were pretty
sore losers.