(urth) OT - Watchmen on trial

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 22 11:14:50 PST 2005

The defenses other people here have made as far as the theme of the Watchmen
go are, I think, adequate; but I think that part of the difficulty here is
that you take a very different view of the characters, and some of the
scenes they appear in have radically different overtones.

Ozy's killing of the Comedian is not in any way a heroic act, it's something
out a spy drama or murder thriller. It occurs in the dark, in terror, and
it's not a matter of stopping the Comedian for being such a bad man (which
he was, as you say), it's a matter of keeping him silent because,
ironically, he does have just a bit more conscience left than Ozymandias
does. It's a crime, a murder, and is treated as such from the beginning and
on through the rest of the story.

Manhattan certainly did not seem to be enlightened, unless you equate
enlightenment with the loss of his humanity. Judging him as a human (which
he eventually comes to accept, he is not) there's no way to look at him but
as a sad, screwed up creature. This is highlighted by his interactions with
Silk Spectre.

Speaking of which, it always seemed to me that she, and the arguable
protagonist (which nobody mentions because of his utter normality - part of
what makes him the protagonist) the Night Owl, have the only "happy ending"
there is in this story. A fairly obvious rejection of the ubermensch ideal,
since both turn their backs on the superhero world.

Re: Severian it is hard to place the Autarchy amongst other, real forms of
government. From where does the power of the Autarchy derive? Most don't
even know who the Autarch is or what he looks like, how power is passed
down, etc. The Autarch is almost a *fact* more than he is a particular
person.