(urth) Shaving Clones

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 15:10:34 PDT 2005

Chris --

The very best part of this theory is that it resolves the Problem
of the Spanish Barber.

"In a certain village in Spain, there is a barber, who shaves
everybody in the village who does not shave himself. Who
shaves the barber?"

Well, since everybody in the village is himself, he doesn't
shave anyone. QED.

On 6/24/05, Chris <rasputin_ at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I was about to playfully suggest as a universal rule that one should not
> postulate clones beyond necessity. (And it still seems like something of a
> good idea, I must admit).
>
> But then it occurred to me that maybe a proliferation of clones actually
> *reduces* the number of entities (by making some people the same as others),
> so maybe Occam would approve. On that note I devised the following theory:
> everyone on Urth is genetically Severian, including Typhon.
>
> We know that Severian, as Conciliator, weaves back and forth through time
> and leads a number of lives (Apu Punchau, etc), sometimes going quite a ways
> back in history. This being the case, all things being equal his genes would
> so dominate the gene pool that it would lead to hopelessly inbred children
> and the degeneration of the human race. To prevent this the Hierogrammates
> implemented a plan which replaced natural reproduction with technology
> similar to that used to resurrect Severian, but with a twist: it creates an
> *embryonic Severian* already in place in the womb. The embryo (and
> subsequent human) is then manipulated through hormones to generate a variety
> of appearances as necessary, including development of male or female
> reproductive organs as needed. And this, by the way, is the capping point
> that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that this theory is correct: people
> on Urth *have* to be clones because they are *incapable* of reproducing
> naturally - despite appearances they are all genetically male!
>
> This also explains how there's always a new Severian-body around for the
> Conciliator to pop into when he dies, no matter what place and time it
> happens to be.
>
> This explains trivially why there are so many clones on the Whorl. All of
> the original passengers were clones of Severian. It's not that we have
> identified too many clones, it is that we have noticed too few.

I do not fear Satan half so much as I fear those who fear him.
                        -- St Teresa of Avila
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer