(urth) Shaving Clones

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 24 14:56:09 PDT 2005

I was about to playfully suggest as a universal rule that one should not
postulate clones beyond necessity. (And it still seems like something of a
good idea, I must admit).

But then it occurred to me that maybe a proliferation of clones actually
*reduces* the number of entities (by making some people the same as others),
so maybe Occam would approve. On that note I devised the following theory:
everyone on Urth is genetically Severian, including Typhon.

We know that Severian, as Conciliator, weaves back and forth through time
and leads a number of lives (Apu Punchau, etc), sometimes going quite a ways
back in history. This being the case, all things being equal his genes would
so dominate the gene pool that it would lead to hopelessly inbred children
and the degeneration of the human race. To prevent this the Hierogrammates
implemented a plan which replaced natural reproduction with technology
similar to that used to resurrect Severian, but with a twist: it creates an
*embryonic Severian* already in place in the womb. The embryo (and
subsequent human) is then manipulated through hormones to generate a variety
of appearances as necessary, including development of male or female
reproductive organs as needed. And this, by the way, is the capping point
that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that this theory is correct: people
on Urth *have* to be clones because they are *incapable* of reproducing
naturally - despite appearances they are all genetically male!

This also explains how there's always a new Severian-body around for the
Conciliator to pop into when he dies, no matter what place and time it
happens to be.

This explains trivially why there are so many clones on the Whorl. All of
the original passengers were clones of Severian. It's not that we have
identified too many clones, it is that we have noticed too few.