(urth) Severian's skin color

Andy Robertson andywrobertson at clara.co.uk
Sat Jun 18 00:49:53 PDT 2005

> So,
> while I think it may be reasonable to assume that Sevarian may be tale,
> pale and sunken-cheeked only by the standards of his community and not
> that of contemporary Europeans, I think it's a bigger stretch to assert
> one way or another that he or the people of Nessus look like contemporary
> native South Americans, or any other ethnic group we can imagine.
>
> seth

The people of the Commonwealth do look like contemporary south Americans.
There's a largely European upper class (some of whom have pale/blond hair
and blue eyes), a lower class of Amerindian "autocthons" with dark skin and
straight thick dark hair, and a mixed group between.

In the far South there are people who look like contemporary Scandinavians
with "pale hair and speckled skin" (ref innkeeper describing the levies as
he chats to Severian in Nessus).

I agree this makes zero sense at umpty zillion AD, but Wolfe describes these
groups quite clearly.

.

.