(urth) Severian's skin color

Sarah Dorrance-Minch isobelwren at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 20:51:43 PDT 2005

--- Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Somewhere in there Wolfe (or Severian) makes a
> comment to
> the effect that each of the continents has a
> characteristic
> physical "type," and that peoples who live on a
> continent long
> enough will tend towards that "type." (Something
> like a hundred
> generations?) Since the Commonwealth (a) is on -
> roughly -
> the South American continent, and (b) has been there
> a long
> time, we can reasonably conclude that its citizens
> resemble
> contemporary native South Americans.

Indigenous, or descendants of European colonists? I
used to be an ESL tutor; most of the businessmen I
tutored were pretty pale, especially the Brazilians,
some of whom (from southern Brazil) had German
surnames and seemed to be an average of six feet four.

It's a big continent. There are currently as many
"types" as in North America. As a side note, I wonder
what the typical North American will look like
millions of years from now...

Midori/Sarah

Ah, love couldst thou and I conspire/ To grasp this sorry scheme of things entire/ Would we not break it all to bits, and then/ Remold it nearer to the heart's desire - Omar Khayyam

Reach me a gentian, give me a torch
let me guide myself with the blue, forked torch of this flower
down the darker and darker stairs, where blue is darkened on blueness.
 - D.H. Lawrence, "Bavarian Gentians"