(urth) Severian's skin color

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 20:13:08 PDT 2005

This is a clear case of artists assuming that the generic SFF hero
is white no matter what the writer says.

Somewhere in there Wolfe (or Severian) makes a comment to
the effect that each of the continents has a characteristic
physical "type," and that peoples who live on a continent long
enough will tend towards that "type." (Something like a hundred
generations?) Since the Commonwealth (a) is on - roughly -
the South American continent, and (b) has been there a long
time, we can reasonably conclude that its citizens resemble
contemporary native South Americans.

--Dan'l

--
I do not fear Satan half so much as I fear those who fear him.
                        -- St Teresa of Avila