(urth) Lexicon Urthus

Maru Dubshinki marudubshinki at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 10:05:16 PDT 2005

Argument time!  Cory Doctorow, who releases his novels in a
multiplicity of formats, many of which are more convenient to read
(such as Palm editions), estimates his sales have at least *tripled*
because of people tasting his novels online and then buying the print
version for perusal. I see no reason why the same principle would not
hold for LU-  would you buy a 30$ reference book sight unseen? With no
verification of the contents besides what a few reviews say? (Err...
That's a hypothetical you, just for the record.)

And as far as the third-party goes... I'm not surprised at all. The
surprise would be if the converse happened.  I mean, didn't LU not
sell out its first printing? Didn't a bunch of unsold copies have to
be auctioned off on Ebay?  That doesn't sound like a potential
blockbuster, or even a modest seller, unfortunately. Too restricted in
its appeal.

~Maru