(urth) Compliant (sic)

Jim Raylor rjraylor at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 19 04:38:16 PST 2005

David, I agree that it is unnecessary to re-quote a
long message before adding one line of reply.
I think Maru and Dan'l were merely pointing out the
parallels in themes, linguistic tricks and aspirations
between Joyce and Wolfe, which I feel is valid
comment.
I also find echoes of Borges and foreshadows of
Hofstadter in 5HOC.
I attempt to post insights that have occurred to me as
I re-read this book, if I cannot find evidence that I
am just raking over dead ashes.
This seems an appropriate forum for introducing such
topics, which I am quite happy to discuss in private
correspondence, if they stray too far off topic.

Reading the book 5HOC in parallel with 'Anne of Green
Gables' and Google is bound to influence the style of
my contributions.

There is one point, where Phaedria's theatrical
project is described, which had me laughing out
loud... (GW's 'jokes' often just make me groan).

The committee, primarily young women, write a play
which '- inevitably - revolved about the loss of
political power by the original French speaking
colonists.'

How far from the stereotypical picture of the fancies
that appeal to young women can you get?

Anne's story group and theatrical party deal with the
more usual themes of 'tragical romance'.

=====