(urth) Compliant (sic)

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 08:58:52 PST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:38:16 +0000 (GMT), Jim Raylor
<rjraylor at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I think Maru and Dan'l were merely pointing out the
> parallels in themes, linguistic tricks and aspirations
> between Joyce and Wolfe, which I feel is valid
> comment.

Actually, it was a "litter of protest," against the kind of
reading often directed at _Finnegans Wake_, in which
"it's in there if you can find it, whether or not Joyce
ever intended it."

LIke ferexample: in the passage (in the first section)
about the Willingdone Museyroom (mind yer hat goan
in!), there is a line about the "lipoleum boyce
grouching in their trinches" - spelling is approximate,
from memory - and I knew someone who _insisted_
that this was a reference to the Marx brothers, because
Groucho had worn a Napoleon costume in an early
stage play. (The woman in question was a moderately
talented Joyce scholar and an absolute Marx bros.
fanatic.)

--Dan'l

--
www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer