(urth) Ormsby, Michael and Setr

maru dubshinki marudubshinki at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 13:48:41 PST 2005

*Maru pounces!
You my friend, just made a big mistake.
Ragnarok is most definitely NOT the end.
That doens't hold water; both because of the cyclical
elements and numerology in Norse paganism, and because that contradicts
directly what is said in the Elder/Poetic Edda.
In the Larrington translation, we read in 'The Seeress' Prophecy' that
after the great battle, after Surt 'high flame plays against heaven
itself' v57, the seeress continues:
	'She sees, coming up a second time,
	Earth from the ocean, eternally green;
	the waterfall plunges, an eagle soars over it,
	hunting fish on the mountain. v59
and most importantly;
	'The Aesir meet on Idavoll
	and they converse about the mighty Earth-girdler,
	and they remember there the great events
	and the ancient runes of the Mighty One. v60
after that they refind their old hnefatafl game pieces, Baldr will
return from Hel. 'do you understand yet, or what more?' v63
   More interesting, the part that leads to the 'christian
interpolation' you revile is v65:
	'Then the powerful, mighty one, he who rules over
	everything,
	will come from above, to the judgementplace of the gods.
I personally think it is Odin but...
And, should you persist in your error of seeing the Norse as inhabiting
an Eschatological religious framework, check the last, final verse out,
the one which really clinches the case for cyclicalness.
v66
	There comes the dark dragon flying
	the shining serpent, up from Dark-of-moon Hills
	Nidhogg flies over the plains, in his wings
	he carries corpses; now she must sink down.
Even after ragnarok, evil continues.
You should be more careful what you say.
~Maru