(urth) The Wizard - questions -- answers (spoiler)

mournings glory mourningsglory at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 3 22:00:21 PST 2005

From: "Russell Wodell" <wrustle at telus.net>

>What would be Sir Garvaon's motive for killing Gilling? (Rhyme
unintentional) And why would Wolfe conceal this for so long?>

Garvaon is in love with Idnn--so kills Gilling out of jealousy or to spare
Idnn the painful coitus/childbirth you mention. Able presages all this early
in _The Knight_ when he writes, "All the time we were talking, I was
thinking about what Idnn had said about Beel giving her to King Gilling, but
I could not tell Garvaon and I would have been afraid of what he might do if
I did."

>If I'm right, this further underlines the increasing strain of misogyny in
late Wolfe..>

But even if your Idnn-as-murderess hypothesis were true, I'm not sure how
protecting yourself against sexual mutilation and/or death-due-to-childbirth
is misogynistic.

I rather liked Idnn as a character and believe her agreeing to marry King
Gilling is every bit as noble, selfless and dutiful as anything Able, Svon
or Toug do in their various undertakings as knights aspirant.

msg