(urth) 5HC

Broceliande27533 at aol.com Broceliande27533 at aol.com
Fri Jan 28 04:40:36 PST 2005

The Marquis of Carabas

Sorry: misprint: should be "otherwise based on German and Norse myth". Puss
in Boots is French: Perrault I think. Wagner imports the idea into Rheingold,
(Alberich has stolen the Rheingold and by pronouncing the curse on love has
created the ring of power which enables him to rule the world. He has also had
the Tarnhelm forged, and it allows him to transform himself into anything he
wants. Wotan (later called Valfather/the Wanderer) and Loge (Loki) are trying to
steal the Rheingold in order to ransom Freia, aka Holda, (and her golden
apples)  who has been pledged to the giants to pay for the building of Walhall
(Valhalla). Alberich tries to frighten them away by transforming himself into a
dragon, but Loge tricks him by betting him that he can't transform himself into
something small and weak. He turns himself into a toad, and they pounce, and
then steal the gold in turn. Its pivotal to the plot.) The Ring is otherwise
based entirely on German and Norse myth. From what was written about The Wizard
Knight, I gather that that is also based on Norse myth, but has a Marquis of
Carabas reference. I wondered whether that was a coincidence. I haven't read
TWK yet, as I said.

5HC
I am aware of the arguments for and against my propositions in the archives.
I am not convinced that there has been a comprehensive analysis in which the
evidence and arguments on either side have been set out and evaluated. Maybe
there is not a clear answer to question i. But for my own satisfaction, I want
to take a structured and comprehensive approach.

So far as the second question is concerned, I have read the archives on this
too. I am aware of the handwriting change, and the point at which it occurs. I
know about the Wolfe interview. But are we certain that this was intended to
be the whole story? because at the moment I think that there is some material
to support the proposition that Marsch replaces Victor, or that there is some
synthesis. My present view is that it GW intended it to be entirely ambiguous,
just as is the question of who replaced who on St Anne. But again I want to
do a proper analysis.

Whether I bother anyone with my conclusions is another matter!

I am disappointed that no-one is so far interested in a 5HC opera. Perhaps an
oratorio would be better. Then no-one would have to wrestle with Mr Million's
costume.

Judith P