(urth) silver glass

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 16:48:47 PST 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:53:53 -0500, James Wynn <thewynns at earthlink.net> wrote:

> One other thing, if the accounts of Silk's psyche being present in the
> Narrator are in doubt due to Hide&co's authorship, then all the alleged
> textual clues that Silver Silk entered Silk's body are equally in doubt. It
> is not fair to accept the third person authors' account as valid for the
> references for the theory you like, and then reject every clue to the
> contrary based on their unreliability.

Right: in the end, we have the text we have and no guarantee of anything
behind it.

I said something of this sort long ago, but let me elaborate:

I think that Wolfe has deliberately set up textual problems analogous
to those facing interpreters of the New Testament.

Specifically, I see a clear analogy between the LS and the
Gospels - a detailed account by someone who, it turns out,
wasn't actually there for most of the events narrated. Horn's
"defense" at the end reminds me quite a bit of the first couple
of verses of Luke, in fact.

And then ... the journeys of a man who's imbued with Silk's
spirit? Whose writings have made Silk a godlike hero figure
to many peoples? Gadzooks, could this be an analogy to
the Acts of the Apostles and Especially Saul Who Is Called
Paul Except At The Beginning?

--Dan'l
--
www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer