(urth) Orwell on Chesterton

Andy Robertson andywrobertson at clara.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 11:08:12 PST 2005

> I am a great admirer of both Orwell and Chesterton, and a
> man who is converting to Catholicism in his 40s, after a
> great deal (more than ten years) of thought.

Good heavens.  May I congratulate you???

May I ask why
> you feel it necessary to post something so inflammatorially
> insulting?
>
> --Dan'l

I must point out that the insults were Orwell's.  He is right in one thing -
after an early efflorescence Chesterton decayed into (mostly) a stale
polemicist who produced only the occasional good thing.  But it does not
follow that his apologetics was simply bad (it wasn't) or that he decayed
because he became a Catholic.