(urth) Orwell on Chesterton

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 10:57:56 PST 2005

Aqala:

I am a great admirer of both Orwell and Chesterton, and a
man who is converting to Catholicism in his 40s, after a
great deal (more than ten years) of thought.May I ask why
you feel it necessary to post something so inflammatorially
insulting?

--Dan'l

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:41:52 -0800 (PST), aqala at yahoo.com
<aqala at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think some of this list's subscribers will benefit from reading George
> Orwell's opinion of G. K. Chesterton:
>
> -------------------quote-------------------
> ...political Catholicism. Its most outstanding exponent—though he was
> perhaps an extreme case rather than a typical one—was G. K. Chesterton.
> Chesterton was a writer of considerable talent who whose to suppress both
> his sensibilities and his intellectual honesty in the cause of Roman
> Catholic propaganda. During the last twenty years or so of his life, his
> entire output was in reality an endless repetition of the same thing,
> under its laboured cleverness as simple and boring as 'Great is Diana of
> the Ephesians.' Every book that he wrote, every scrap of dialogue, had to
> demonstrate beyond the possibility of mistake the superiority of the
> Catholic over the Protestant or the pagan. But Chesterton was not content
> to think of this superiority as merely intellectual or spiritual: it had
> to be translated into terms of national prestige and military power, which
> entailed an ignorant idealisation of the Latin countries, especially
> France.  Chesterton had not lived long in France, and his picture of it—as
> a land of Catholic peasants incessantly singing the MARSEILLAISE over
> glasses of red wine—had about as much relation to reality as CHU CHIN CHOW
> has to everyday life in Baghdad. And with this went not only an enormous
> overestimation of French military power (both before and after 1914-18 he
> maintained that France, by itself, was stronger than Germany), but a silly
> and vulgar glorification of the actual process of war.  Chesterton's
> battle poems, such as Lepanto or The Ballad of Saint Barbara, make The
> Charge of the Light Brigade read like a pacifist tract: they are perhaps
> the most tawdry bits of bombast to be found in our language. The
> interesting thing is that had the romantic rubbish which he habitually
> wrote about France and the French army been written by somebody else about
> Britain and the British army, he would have been the first to jeer. In
> home politics he was a Little Englander, a true hater of jingoism and
> imperialism, and according to his lights a true friend of democracy. Yet
> when he looked outwards into the international field, he could forsake his
> principles without even noticing he was doing so. Thus, his almost
> mystical belief in the virtues of democracy did not prevent him from
> admiring Mussolini. Mussolini had destroyed the representative government
> and the freedom of the press for which Chesterton had struggled so hard at
> home, but Mussolini was an Italian and had made Italy strong, and that
> settled the matter. Nor did Chesterton ever find a word to say about
> imperialism and the conquest of coloured races when they were practised by
> Italians or Frenchmen. His hold on reality, his literary taste, and even
> to some extent his moral sense, were dislocated as soon as his
> [...]

www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer
Freedom has no barcode.
     --J.G. Ballard