(FWD) Re: (urth) The Wizard - questions -- answers (spoiler)

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 12:08:43 PST 2005

Stilskin,

I disagree. Garvaon _had_ to hide what he had done, or it
would have had far worse consequences than the ones he
was hoping to avoid - if the Angrborn had known that one
of the "hotlanders" (and one of the "honorable" knights no
less) had murdered their king, they would have slaughtered
all the knights and the men-at-arms, and enslaved the rest,
including Idnn, so she would have wound up in the same
position (so to speak) except with someone other than
Gilling, and probabily-possibly not even the new king but
just some random Angrborn freeholder who bought her at
auction.

--Blattid

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:03:29 -0800 (PST), stilskin <acronus at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think you're ascribing far too much nobility to
> Garvaon and this action. Otherwise he would not
> attempt to hide what he had done.  But I think Wolfe
> leaves room for careful readers to disagree on this
> and many other points.
>
> --- harlekin at earthlink.net wrote:
>

> > "I'm not sure that Garvaon's sacrifice would have
> > been
> > appreciated by Idnn had she known of it.  In fact,
> > I'm
> > pretty confident she would find it reprehensible and
> > offensive."
> >
> > That's the point.  Garvaon gets no benefit from his
> > action.  It's a sacrifice of honor on his part.
> > Thus it is selfish and selfless at the same time.
> > Garvaon's death is a gift to him so he won't have to
> > live with his shame, not an act of redemption.  His
> > place is skai was assured, IMO.
> >
> > Don

> =====
> http://www.sff.net/people/stilskin