(urth) 5HC : Skinner, Turing (fwd)

maru marudubshinki at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 12:50:15 PST 2005

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:

>>One more thing!
>>I was reading in my Star Wars collection t'other day, when, en route
>>to Boba Fett's story in Tales from Jabba's Palace, to see whether I
>>could place anymore of the anecdotes, an excruciating name caught
>>my eye. It was remarkably similar to yours.  A relation?
>>

>The closest possible relation, me. What are you doing reading
>such trash?
>
>--Dan'l

What are you doing writing such trash?

But seriously, when I was younger, I was very much into Star Wars,
(having never got the appeal of Star Trek, nor was I exposed
to D & D. So my geek creds are largely confined to that sector.)
and bought most of the novels.  When I stopped, around the lousy New
Jedi Order
releases, I had about 70, a pretty comprehensive collection.
Now, recently, I got 'Zen Flesh, Zen Bones'.  One of the stories in it
was of a fellow
dangling from a cliff, tigers above and below.  The branch he is
clinging to is slipping.
Suddenly, he sees some strawberrys and eats them.  How sweet they taste,
he thinks.

There is a story exactly analolgous to it in 'A Barve like that', the
story I was looking for
to verify the resemblance, when I stumbled on your name.
And that's that.

~Maru
I never did figure out where the pig joke in that story came from though.