(urth) RE: urth-urth.net Digest, Vol 6, Issue 13

James Wynn thewynns at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 8 13:36:27 PST 2005

>My recollection is that Wolfe has stated that the pagan gods actually
>existed, and were in effect, demons. This is, I think, a conservative but
>orthodox position within the Catholic Church.

I think it was the Apostle Paul who suggested that the pagan gods were
demons. In the only quote I know of about this, Wolfe said he believed that
they existed but the only mistake was in worshipping them. I haven't
rechecked the quote but I don't think he elaborated more except to say his
ideas were contrary to the RCC.

>So in short, I think that Wolfe's thinking on the matter (at least as
>expressed in his fiction) has refined itself since his comments about the
>pagan gods, which I believe were contemporaneous with _Soldier in the
Mist_.
>Of course, the Overcyns also seem to be somewhat nicer than the Greek gods,
>and nicer than the actual Norse pantheon.

Weren't the gods in the Soldier novels at least as god-like as the Overcyns?
Now the gods of the Whorl-- *they* were demons.

~ Crush