(urth) RE: urth-urth.net Digest, Vol 6, Issue 13

David Lebling dlebling at hyraxes.com
Tue Feb 8 13:26:51 PST 2005

My recollection is that Wolfe has stated that the pagan gods actually
existed, and were in effect, demons. This is, I think, a conservative but
orthodox position within the Catholic Church.

On the other hand, the Overcyns don't appear to be demons, and appearing as
a blaze of light when viewed with the Helmet of True Seeing (sorry, too much
D&D in my youth) seems more to indicate that they are godlike rather than
demonic.

Wolfe's conception of the worlds in Wizard Knight is that each is made of
the leftovers of the one higher up, which to my mind would indicate that the
Overcyns are godlike but not as godlike as (e.g.) Michael, and still less
godlike than the Highest God.

So in short, I think that Wolfe's thinking on the matter (at least as
expressed in his fiction) has refined itself since his comments about the
pagan gods, which I believe were contemporaneous with _Soldier in the Mist_.
Of course, the Overcyns also seem to be somewhat nicer than the Greek gods,
and nicer than the actual Norse pantheon.

-- Dave Lebling, aka vizcacha