(urth) TWK: ontology

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Mon Feb 28 15:42:42 PST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, James Wynn wrote:

> I think Setr, Garsecg, Abel, Valfather, and Michael, are all in a sense
> Arthur himself.
>
> I suppose it could be both at once but I think it is absolutely significant
> that Valfather bows to Michael and in Germany the shrines to Odin were
> replaced with chapels to St. Michael.
>
> In another sense, Arnthor, Weiland, Ravd, Toug and all the other heroes are
> Arthur as well. And Idnn and the Lady and the Witch and Parka and Mag are
> all Able's mother. Berthold and Thor are both Ben (Thor had a stone lodged
> in his head from an ax wound that never got properly removed and so did
> Berthold).

In that case, you would see it as _Peace_, but with a happy ending ;)

A few bits and pieces which I have had trouble sending at the time:

someone wrote:
> ... Maybe the spelling of Setr is just meant as
> acknowledgment of this.   If it's more than that and a hint towards "Set" I
> have no suggestions.

Surely Set is correct: Osiris-Isis-Set
                       Arnthor-Morcaine-Setr
                       Able-Disiri-Berthold

A. and D. were brought up together as if brother and sister.

Berthold was also ruler of the waste land and is appropriately wounded.
Leader of the group of giants that ransacked Griffinsford - Schildstarr.

Beginning of Knight: "If I slept here tonight," I suggested, "I could wake you if you had a bad
dream."  "Schildstarr," the bearded man muttered.

End of Wizard: "There we saw [...] Bold Berthold slay Schildstarr"

"I knew then that the name of our town had not been Griffinsford.  Perhaps
it is Griffin -- or Griffinsburg or something like that."

Gifford IL ??  The gazetteers give a few Griffins in various states.

And has someone previously pointed out?

MACLURA

This tree can grow up to 60 feet in height and was originally found growing from Arkansas to Texas.
This tree is mainly grown for interest as it isn't a particularly beautiful tree. It grows well in
other parts of the country besides its native range. It is valued as a hedge plant and as a tree for
windbreaks and poor soil. The leaves are simple and alternately arranged on the twigs. They are
ovate with pointed tips and smooth edges. They grow from 3 to 5 inches long and 2 or 3 inches wide.
They are shiny dark green on top and paler and smooth beneath. Male and female flowers grow on
separate trees, but neither have any decorative value. The interesting fruits resemble oranges, thus
the common name, Osage Orange. They are fairly large with wrinkled skin and are colored green at
first, turning an orange hue later. The "oranges" consist of a number of closely packed drupes,
which when punctured, secrete a bitter, milky juice that turns black upon exposure. The wood of this
tree is hardy, strong and durable and has a bright orange color. The Indians used it for making bows
and it has been considered to be one of the best bow woods. Because of this, it has been given other
common names such as "Bow-wood" and "Bois d'arc". It is also used for fence posts, insulator pins,
pulley docks and a number of other things. The wood also produces a bright yellow dye.

However, the relationship of Americans-Native Americans and Humans-Aelf
doesn't really hold up.