(urth) TWK: 7 world cosmology

Maru Dubshinki marudubshinki at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 07:28:06 PST 2005

On 12/13/05, Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net> wrote:

> That's the answer I was looking for and the direction I wanted to take
> this
> thread. People seem to accept the idea that the inhabitants of Kleos are
> in
> fact angels of one stripe or another; at least none have argued against
> it.
> The exact wording in the text regarding those descended angels is "they
> could never go back." The question then becomes, *why* couldn't they go
> back?
>
> Was there something related to the shedding of blood that physically (if
> such a word applies to angels) prohibited them from getting back to Kleos,
> or was it that they were not *permitted* to return, presumably by the
> Highest God? I suspect the latter.
>
> Why would God punish them for doing what they did? Remember, they were
> trying to cast out the inevitable imperfection of the world God had
> created
> for them, to make that world as near as possible to God's perfection. And
> they did succeed in casting out much of the imperfection, personified as
> Ymir in Skai.
>
> Able was a hero, a man who sacrificed his life in the course of killing a
> monster, Grengarm. He was rewarded by being elevated to Skai and becoming
> god to men. Some angels voluntarily gave up their places in Kleos to go
> down
> and kill a monster, Ymir. They were punished by being demoted permanently
> Skai and forced to accept their brethren who stayed at home as gods.
> What's
> the difference? Why was the one rewarded and the other punished for doing
> the same basic thing?
>
> -Roy

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't they descend from perfection? If they
go from perfection
to imperfection, then it is not hard to believe that it would be impossible
to ever get back....
without the aid of the MHG. Reminds me of the doctrine of the Fall, that
perfection once lost
is impossible to regain with merely mortal/imperfect/sinful efforts, and
that only the intercession
of Jesus and his blood can we be lifted up to perfection.

~Maru