(urth) Elementary

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sat Aug 27 13:18:29 PDT 2005

Chris wrote:

> Jeff Wilson wrote:
>
>> Some or all of the above may be a reflection of GW's experiences with
>> his alma mater...
>

>> Oh, and the vivisection as well, lest we forget.

> What?

Texas A&M has a prominent veterinary school, it occupies several
buildings on campus, some decorated with sculpted animal skulls. Part of
the curriculum involves practicing surgical procedures on live animals.

Now that I think about it, the university is a fair microcosm of Urthian
architechture and geography, compressed in time as well as space. It has
sprawled noticeably between my leaving 17 years ago and my latest visit
this spring, but even during GW's matriculation it apparently had
occupational segregation, hidden nooks and forgotten alcoves, disparate
parts connected via tunnel, technical wonders alongside agrarian
commonality, ritual fire of cannon far older and longer at peace than
their operators were old.

There's even a bronze fasces forming the base of the flagpole at the old
center of campus! I'll have to seriously think about compiling a LEXICON
TEXAS with some of these factoids some day.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >