(urth) Elementary

mournings glory mourningsglory at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 26 15:32:24 PDT 2005

Maru writes:

>I've never heard of "The Great Prince Dies".

It's the "book about the assassination of Trotsky" that Number Five finds
next to Virginia Woolf's _Monday or Tuesday_ and was written by Bernard
Wolfe, who, besides having been a bodyguard for Trotsky in Mexico, also
wrote in various genres and was a frequent contributer to Playboy. His only
sf novel is _Limbo_ (once hailed by JG Ballard as the best American sf
novel), but when Gene Wolfe first began to make a name for himself, he may
have been frequently asked if he was related to this other Wolfe (let alone
Tom and Thomas). For more info see either Clute's _Encyclopedia_ or Harlan
Ellison's intro to B. Wolfe's stories in _Again, Dangerous Visions_ .

Also, while I have your attention: the Linnaean binomial for wolf is "Canis
lupus," and it's a well-established fact that wolves and dogs can
interbreed. Biologically, it can even be argued they are the same species,
and while "chien" and "loup" are not perfect synonyms like "car" and "auto,"
the difference is more an artificial distinction than an actual one.

C5H9NO4 (he, he)