(urth) Has anyone heard of C. S. Cooney?

Maru Dubshinki marudubshinki at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 19:50:49 PDT 2005

On 8/10/05, Jason Willard <funesmem6 at msn.com> wrote:
> I just got my copy of Starwater Strains and the dedication says the title is
> from a poem by C. S. Cooney called "Lady Rosemary."  Rosemary I get, of
> course, but is Mr. Wolfe in the habit of making up poets?  I can't find this
> poet mentioned in Google or Wikipedia or ABE Books.  (As fabulous as they
> are, admittedly limited sources.)  Am I missing something obvious?  Has
> Wolfe used this as a pseudonym?

There is a man of letters by the name of "Seamus Cooney".  Cooney is
not a common last name at all, and that fellow has at least one of the
right initials.  But he doesn't appear to have authored any poems,
rather just edited a lot of poems and letters by such luminaries as
Charles Bukowski; there is an Irish principal who likes poetry, but
that seems unlikely; and it doesn't appear to be a code of some sort-
at least, the most significant anagram is "Once Cosy". Perhaps you
could copy the poem, if Wolfe included it (or did he simply mention it
in passing?).

~Maru
Current mood: ?