(urth) the Epitome

maru marudubshinki at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 19:20:20 PDT 2005

Adam Stephanides wrote:

>on 4/6/05 12:21 AM, Roy C. Lackey at rclackey at stic.net wrote:
>

>>I don't know if my use of "H's" as shorthand for Hierogrammates is causing
>>confusion with Hieros, or what. Anyway, to be clear, the Hieros were the
>>humans of a previous universe who caused the eventual creation of the
>>Hierogrammates. That creation was their great sin; a sin certainly in the
>>eyes of the H's, but also, more importantly, in the eyes of the Increate.
>>

>As far as I know, there is no evidence that the Increate considered the
>shaping of the Hierogrammates to be a sin. The Hieros' shaping of the
>Hierogrammates is spoken of in terms equivalent to the Hierogrammates'
>shaping of Sev's race into the next "generation" of Hieros. There's nothing
>to indicate that one is a sin and the other isn't, or that one had the
>blessing of the Increate and the other didn't.

Before we talk about what the Increate does and does not
consider a sin (and what is up with that name? A naive reading
of it would make me think of a pan-theist cosmology but I'm
pretty sure that's not what Wolfe means.), let's establish
whether there have been any communications whatsoever
from the Increate.
As far as my imperfect knowledge goes, the Increate never conveys anything
and we  are told that in the story of the cock.

~Maru