(urth) Abraham

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:44:31 PDT 2005

On Apr 11, 2005 3:21 PM, Nathan Spears <spearofsolomon at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm with you.  But for those who believe in the story literally, or even
> those who look to Biblical story as templates for their own actions, the
> fact that it is symbolic of later events doesn't change the facts of the
> almost-sacrifice of Isaac itself.  In other words, God wouldn't have
> acted this way, or even told such a story, in order to simply illustrate
> a future event.  The actions of the story also have to be consistent
> with the way God behaves, right?

Yes, it does.

One thing it seems to indicate - to Christians and Jews alike - is that God
asks us to be willing to sacrifice everything, and doesn't promise to provide
 a ram (Abraham went to the mountain fully expecting to sacrifice his son).

Another: God keeps promises. But does not promise that it will look
that way.

Another: That obdience will sometimes be painful and terrifying.

--Dan'l

--
You probably do not want to know what that odor is.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer