(urth) Hi & a question re: Lexicon Urthus

Hmpf MacSlow hmpf1998 at gmx.net
Tue Nov 30 12:09:12 PST 2004

Hi there,

I've been thinking for days about what to say here and have finally come to
the conclusion that there is nothing I can say that would not fall miles
short of everything that's gone on here before (I've read most of the
archives by now), so I'll just be shallow and say: this is an amazing list.
Reading it is almost - not quite - as good as reading Wolfe himself: it
expands my mind in all kinds of directions and ties my brain in all kinds
of interesting knots.

One question: is there any way of acquiring the Lexicon Urthus without
selling my non-existent firstborn for it? I'm a poor student, bereft of the
means to pay hundreds of euros or dollars for a single book...

Oh, yeah, and just because there don't seem to be many women reading Wolfe,
at least not on this list, and because I realise my nick is kind of
neutral, I feel the need to point out that I belong to that rare
demographic. *g*

What else to say... Well, I've read very little Wolfe so far, just the Book
of the New Sun and the Urth of the New Sun, and I'm only into my second
reading of The Shadow of the Torturer (read it first about a year ago, and
I've only recently been able to buy and read UotNS). Still, even this
limited contact with his work has propelled Gene Wolfe right to the top of
my favourites list, next to Tolkien who's been there since I was 16. I
think it's safe to say that no other book has impressed me as deeply since
1992, the year I first read LotR, as BotNS has.

And now I'll go back to lurking, I think.

Hmpf

---

"Senseless property destruction has failed me, and so I must resort to
wackiness."
- Patrick Shaughnessy, Triangle and Robert