(urth) BotNS in German

Matthew Malthouse matthew.malthouse at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 4 01:44:53 PST 2004

At 02:06 04/12/2004, you wrote:
> >Have you written to Wolfe and asked for permission? Translating
> >something requires the permission of the copyright holder, even if you
> >do not intend on making any money from the work.
>
>Even if you don't publish it? Maybe Hmpf just a good copy for Mom to read?

The distinction is indeed in publication not profit.

A translation as a private exercise requires no permission but even placing
such a document in a university library would.

Article 8 of the Berne Convention:
>Authors of literary and artistic works protected by this Convention shall
>enjoy the exclusive right of making and of authorising the translation of
>their works throughout the term of protection of their rights in the
>original works.

Their "rights in the original works" being elsewhere defined.

Complications can arise because the various signatory states implement the
convention by national law and there are consequently differences in
interpretation.  Under United Kingdom statute
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880048_en_1.htm giving a fair
copy of your translation to mother might indeed be considered a form of
publication but I have a fair confidence that any attempt to prosecute on
such a basis would be judged mischievous, possibly malicious and certainly
not in the public interest.

  Matthew