(urth) wizard finished

James Wynn thewynns at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 16 12:23:55 PST 2004

>I just finished the Wizard an hour ago.  Very interesting.  Hard to
>decide if it's great or just very good as it's hard to separate it from
>Wolfe's other works.  I look forward to the new year and the discussion.

When I saw the movie "Being John Malkovich", my brother asked me "Was it any
good?" I said, "I don't know. But I'll guarantee you've never seen a movie
like that before."

I think one could say that about all of Wolfe's novels. They deny
catagorization. So by what standard should legitimately analyze their
merits? Still, at the end of THE KNIGHT, thought the story was workmanly
Wolfean, but unlikely to attract non-Wolfe fans. At the end of THE WIZARD I
was certain it is very good novel indeed and carries themes previously
untouched in Fantasy literature.  The split between KNIGHT and WIZARD is
artificial. The story really must be read in one or the separate stories
will have an uneven feel.

~ Crush