(urth) Re: urth-urth.net Digest, Vol 4, Issue 19

James Wynn thewynns at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 13 10:42:07 PST 2004

>When I first read the BotNS, I was rather struck by the
>similarity between the Pancreator/Increate duality and the
>'dipolar-opposite' theories of the nature of God in process theology.
>
>A quick explanation:  in process thought, God is thought of as having an
>eternal, metaphysically necessary and transcendant component to his nature,
>and a temporal, contingent, changing and immanent component (exact
>implementations vary with the process thinker: Chales Harsthorne has a
>different interpretation from his mentor, A N Whitehead, with most who are
>interested in the area following Harsthorne).
>
> A better explanation: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/process-theism/

Interesting. This theory (that God is mutable) seems very similar to "Open
Theism" (the theory that God does not know the future) which has made quite
a stir in recently certain Evangelical colleges. I didn't know it had an
earlier iteration.

Can you give more detail in how you think Process Theism is exemplified in
the Sun cycle?

~ Crush