(urth) _Edges_ shows "Suzanne Delage" involves memory loss; SD is probably Bram Stoker's _Dracula_

Factory Farmer factoryfarmer at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 27 18:44:57 PDT 2023

What’s going on in this story?

There’s an older but not elderly man who is flipping through his high school yearbook trying to recall what he can about SD.

One can only imagine the feminist editors response to reading this one.

Did we already forget the older guy flipping through his high school yearbook?

He played football in high school, not very well and we’re taking a trip down his memory lane.

 A chunk of the action involves women talking about fabrics and the stories they tell.  It’s s den of iniquity.

It’s got baking and the intimation of baking.  We’re being told all along that there’s nothing exciting to report.

The narrator did not lead an exciting life.

There’s nothing unusual about forgetting people or events.  The woman who triggers this recollection has forgotten the girl’s name.

Sure the story has puzzles.  It even has the French Foreign Legion.  Wolfe can make it readable but there’s only so much that can be done.

It seems to me that in terms of delivering genre expectation, everyone was getting a good laugh.

PM