(urth) [EXTERNAL] from the Centipede Press weekly newsletter

Fernando Gouvea fqgouvea at colby.edu
Mon Dec 7 16:20:43 PST 2020

A flipped globe is certainly possible, given the map in /Plan[e]t
Engineering. /It looks very much like a mirror-image South America. It
didn't occur to me to see if it might be  a plausible "south-up" South
America, but it doesn't seem so, especially since Wolfe's notation says
"northwest area of the Commonwealth".

Is anyone copying the folks at Centipede Press on this discussion?

Fernando

On 12/7/2020 5:13 PM, Davud Stickhoff wrote:
> There is a theory about how far Wolfe took the reversal thing. I am
> not sure I can describe it verbally, but it involves moving Bueno
> Aires to the other side of the Andes by flipping the globe. It seems
> to work.

Fernando Q. Gouvea         http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
Colby College
5836 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901

This sentence contradicts itself -- no actually it doesn't.
   -- Douglas Hofstadter