(urth) Time-traveling through the Urth list

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimrberghofer.edu.au
Tue Jun 18 17:57:22 PDT 2019

Gem wrote:

> Being a woman, I followed with great interest the posts of alga—Alice K. Turner.

Hi Gem.

My only exposure to alga was via this list. Yes, she came across as a very erudite reader and writer - I presume you have seen her essays
for the Turner/Andre-Driussi's  collection on Crowley _Snake's-Hands_.

> The list also informed me that G.K. Chesterton was a favorite of GW. And I read with agreement
> posts pertaining to GW’s problematic depiction of women.

I think Wolfe is (was) definitely a blokey kind of writer. But there seem to be more and more sympathetically rendered
women in the later novels. I'm just trying to decide if that includes Chelle in _Home Fires_, given the viewpoint being that of Skip, who has so many lacunae
in his understanding of things, and Wolfe's increasing (?) use of understatement.

> "Men are men, but Man is a woman."

I don't think I ever really saw much evidence of this in Chesterton.

I do think that _Peace_ is in close contention as his best work.

Cheers, David Duffy.

Alice K. Turner Passes Away

By Andrew Porter: I returned from nearly a week away from the computer to find the shocking and horrifying news ...