(urth) Checking Out (Short Story 92)

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Tue Apr 16 11:49:57 PDT 2019

Just noticed this was the last story referenced in the title of a post
on the list (2nd April).  There was a post about an interview a few days
later... then the news of Wolfe's death.

Hope nobody is offended, just noticed the coincidence - a whimsical sort
of connection that Wolfe might have used to draw the reader into a story
about some other sort of connection.  I haven't read the story so I
don't know whether its about the usual colloquial sense of 'checking out'.

92 is also the last 'natural' element in the Periodic Table, in the
sense that no elements heavier than Uranium occur in other than trace
quantities as part of a decay cascade.  (Once you start with
coincidences, you can't stop.)

- Gerry Quinn