(urth) Gene Wolfe

Andrew Bollen jurisper at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 18:19:25 PDT 2019

A shame. Thanks, Gene Wolfe, for many, many hours of pleasure.

A little thing I wrote somewhere else:

*One of my favourite authors. A conservative mid-Western Catholic, in truth
a reactionary, but ignore the politics: he could write like a big fat
walrus-moustached reactionary angel. He was an SF & Fantasy writer, because
he liked the genres and he liked playing around and subverting them, and
also (at a guess) because an SF&F cover on a novel ensures some extra
sales. But his best novel,
Peace, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S0E5ZA
<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S0E5ZA/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i11>
was
genre-defying, maybe Mid-Western magic realism, or literary David Lynchism,
or something. Mysterious, elegiac, infinitely complex under a simple skin,
beautifully written. Partly it has to do with memory and its distortion.
Everybody is falsifying memories and histories, long and short, except the
narrator, who is dead. Rather than lie, he omits, and the narrative has
great gaps, their missing contents hinted at by a profusion of stories
which shed uncertain light on each other and on the record. Extraordinarily
deft.Anyway, he will be missed.  *