(urth) Gene Wolfe (1931-2019)

Fernando Gouvea fqgouvea at colby.edu
Tue Apr 16 16:22:40 PDT 2019

And, of course, a stanza of a famous hymn.

Fernando

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 7:06 PM Ab de Vos <foxyab at casema.nl> wrote:

> The text is a citation/paraphrase or strongly reminiscent of Psalm 90:2-6
>

> Op 16-4-2019 om 22:56 schreef Robert Pirkola:
>
> "A thousand ages in thy sight / Are like an evening gone; / Short as the
> watch that ends the night / Before the rising sun."  The Shadow of the
> Torturer.
>
> Goodnight, Gene.
>
> Here is a link to Tor's obit:
> https://www.tor.com/2019/04/15/gene-wolfe-in-memoriam-1931-2019/
> <https://www.tor.com/2019/04/15/gene-wolfe-in-memoriam-1931-2019/>
> Author and Grand Master Gene Wolfe, 1931-2019 | Tor.com
> <https://www.tor.com/2019/04/15/gene-wolfe-in-memoriam-1931-2019/>
> The science fiction and fantasy community has lost a beloved icon. We are
> extremely sad to report that author and SFWA Grand Master Gene Wolfe passed
> away on Sunday, April 14, 2019 after his long ...
> www.tor.com

Fernando Q. Gouvea                                          Editor, MAA
Reviews
Dept of Mathematics and Statistics
http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea
Colby College
http://www.maa.org/press/maa-reviews
Mayflower Hill 5836
Waterville, ME 04901

A training in mathematics is a prerequisite today for work in almost
any scientific field, but even for those who are not going to become
scientists, it is essential because, if it is only through speech that
we can understand what freedom means, only through mathematics
can we understand what necessity means.
  -- W. H. Auden