(urth) Typhon's concessions

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 08:39:43 PDT 2018

I don’t think the solar cycle is really worse than our reality in nature at
all, merely a progression of human freedoms. There are news stories every
day that make the events of the commonwealth, except for the catastrophic
flood, seem quite close to our world.

Regarding lies-  Because time turns our lies into truth - I really  the
lies or misdirections in Wolfe become twisted to reflect a deeper reality.
Almost all of my analysis of Wolfe is based on taking everything super
literally, or taking some things that seem to be mere dressing as
allegorical. A dream in WK says “I” knew my baby would die and could not
breathe. Able’s story is a projection by Michael into his mother’s dreams -
the dreams are real but the “whole story” is a dream. Now at the end of my
project I really cant help but see how Wolfe keeps turning badness into
good and things that seem to be impossible or inexplicable become logical
when taken literally.

There are Christian missionaries in the solar cycle. Well then, despite all
the over rationalization and hints at a cyclic reality, quite simply, there
is Christ in the solar cycle. About sixteen years ago everyone kept pulling
out Occam’s razor on me when I talked about Short Sun. I don’t think
fiction has to conform to that, but in my mind having no Christ in New Sun
serves little to no thematic purpose if it is at all involved in
interrogating human agency and fate versus free will. Even in my reading of
WK developing embryo Able has a choice, and the absence of Christ in
Mythgarthr save for that sole cross which comes to resonate with eterne and
actual birth at least makes a tragic sense.