(urth) Typhon's concessions

incanto at mtecom.net incanto at mtecom.net
Mon Sep 3 18:27:40 PDT 2018

Readers,

When Typhon takes Severian to the head of his mountain, he demands that Severain must swear utter submission to him on the claw. I have two questions about this. First, why must Typhon require Severian to hand over the claw at first, then accede to his reluctance and allow him to simply display it in his own hand, rather than just taking it from him? Second, Typhon cajoles S by saying, "It is no more than a form we must follow." Why must Typhon follow any form at all? Does Typhon indirectly acknowledge a power greater than his own to which obeisance is owed? If he were a tyrant like those in our own culture, he may very well do lip service to religious dictates; but here, it seems that for him there is necessity. Any ideas?

Fred Weiner