(urth) Palgrave History of Science Fiction

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 15:41:14 PST 2018

I don't want to start a round of Short Sun stuff (please, please, please)
but here is my take on what he may or may not be talking about: some time
after Horn falls into the pit on Blue, a Vanished Person who also calls
himself Horn appears to speak to our narrator. That's the only new
speciation that might have anything to do with Horn - the rest Roberts
refers to are the false clues Wolfe is giving us that Silkhorn might be
inhumi: (light, doesn't have a good appetite - is he truly a normal man
with his ability to walk through the woods without being touched? (yes, he
has made a deal with the vanished gods, who are trees)

Having said that, Horn dies on Green, goes into Silk's body who has just
faced Hyacinth's death on the whorl and has either psychologically
retreated or mostly succeeded in killing himself, is a true amalgam of Horn
and Silk as he writes On Blue's Waters in as the Rajan of Gaon. When he
sits under the tree at the end of On Blue's Waters the majority of Horn's
spirit goes into Babbie and becomes the beast with three horns, then it is
Silk in denial for the rest of the book, Silk a man as he always was, until
finally he is faced with the truth with the passage invoking the death of
Hyacinth in the writings and has come home to a house that is not his.

But hey anyone can believe what they want - I have zero interest in arguing
this one at all. Just trying to address what he might be talking about.