(urth) Palgrave History of Science Fiction (Eric Bourland)

Eric Bourland eb at hwaet.com
Mon Mar 19 12:17:27 PDT 2018

Dear Robert,

Thank you for these interesting thoughts.

Speaking only for myself, it's not my business if Cassie is pregnant, or
not. And, her weight is not my business.

Her body, her rules.

If I were to observe her, measure her, judge her, then I'm just an
insecure, little man. Measuring and judging is what humans do to farm
animals. So I look her in the face and I don't judge her. Even just
reading her as a character in a fine, lovely story, I still do that --
I'm looking her in the face.

If Cassie were pregnant and felt I needed to know about it, then she
(Wolfe) would tell me. For this reader, the story works just fine
whether she is pregnant or not.

When Cassie worries about her weight, she is responding to unrealistic
and damaging demands of a patriarchal society that seeks to force her to
adopt a prescribed appearance, and submit to measuring and judgment --
or face penalties of every kind, up to and including death.

This is one component (of countless components) of rape culture.

I quite imagine Mr. Wolfe was well aware of this when he wrote the
character of Cassie. I hope he was. I think he's a percipient,
sagacious, and essentially kind man, though I have not met him except
through thousands of pages of his stories that I have read over and over
through many years.

Please consider something, if you would. I wonder if applying such a
close study to Cassie's weight, and to the possibility of her pregnancy,
forces Cassie to become an object that we observe and judge. Myself, I
refuse to do this to Cassie or to any woman.

What would you say to Cassie if you were seated across from her in
Walker's? I'd buy her a drink and talk about show biz and the weather on
Woldercan.

 >>>however much I'd like it to be so

I also wonder if this is a dangerous position for any scholar. =)

Yours with respect,

Eric