(urth) Lictor

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sat Feb 17 09:19:19 PST 2018

Severian is not described as a lictor as far as I recall, and while he
serves a magistrate he does not arrest anyone. I don't recall him
carrying the fasces either, but rather his sword. Lictors were not
torturers or executioners.

So I don't agree that he fits the term as usually understood, even if
his position is broadly analogous. (The book does refer to other lictors
who are not remotely of the guild of torturers.) And I do not think that
the volume title refers merely to the fact that he briefly serves the
magistrate of Thrax as a jailer.

If you weren't referring to bulls, what are you proposing? Followers of
Mithras did not castrate themselves like the followers of Cybele.
Mithras was not castrated. His bull is shown as being castrated by a
scorpion only as Mithras stabs him. That's not to say it doesn't fit.