(urth) Good afternoon Urth

Eric Bourland eb at hwaet.com
Sun Nov 12 06:07:49 PST 2017

Speaking just for me. The list is quiet, and I'm usually a dedicated
reader of it, so I've noticed it's been quiet. As a mail server admin I
manage a bunch of mailing lists, and have noticed that most of them are
like creatures, active then quiet then active again and so on.

Among the stack of books I usually keep going, there's always a Wolfe.
Right now I am re-reading A Borrowed Man. I remember gulping it down in
an afternoon when it came out a couple of years ago. I've looked for
news of the next one, which I think is titled Interlibrary Loan, but I
don't see anything.

I am liking A Borrowed Man more, the second time through, maybe because
this time I'm more aware of Smithe's efforts, sometimes unconscious, to
assert his own humanity. One thing I noticed this time through is that
he does pushups on his shelf. A little thing that sets him up for
various feats of strength later in the story. Good for him!

The first time through the book I needed to overcome a visceral response
to the way in which reclones are treated.

Have we discussed reclones in Borrowed Man? I remember a couple of
passing conversations that I scanned but did not really consider. I need
to go back through the Urth archives.

I'm sending Mr. Wolfe good vibes. Hope he's feeling better. I'm guessing
he wants some privacy. When I'm not feeling well I want everyone to
leave me alone. ;-)

Eric

--
Eric Bourland
eb at hwaet.com
https://www.hwaet.com

On 11/12/2017 6:35 AM, Ab de Vos wrote:

> Everybody is holding his breath for Marc to finish.
>

> Op 12-11-2017 om 11:55 schreef Paul Zinn-Justin:
>> Lately, each time I receive a message from this mailing list,
>> especially after a long period of silence, I can't help feeling "this
>> is going to be sad news". Am I the only one?
>> Slowly catching up on Wolfe short stories. Enjoying Marc's write ups.
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 9:26 PM, Ab de Vos <foxyab at casema.nl
>> <mailto:foxyab at casema.nl>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     The list is silent these days.