(urth) Good afternoon Urth

Allan Anderson rubel at goosemoon.org
Thu Nov 16 07:08:20 PST 2017

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 4:04 AM David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
wrote:

> I'm reading Durrell's Alexandria Quartet. Not SF, but definitely
> experimental and a little reminiscent of Robert Aickman in its
> detachment combined with nearly-alienating attention to detail.

I really enjoyed the Alexandria Quartet. He gives each of the four books
such a different voice and appetite. Which one are you on? I hadn't made an
Aickman connection, but I can see that. I've just finished up his *Dark
Entries* wth my old college chums Facebook reading group.

In SF, I've been trying out David Brin's *Kiln People*, which, egregious
title pun aside, seems to have a bit in common with *A Borrowed Man. *Brin's
book's schtick is that just about everyone has access to the technology to
make shortlived artificial copies of themselves, to various degrees of
fidelity and autonomy. Murder mystery, copies of people, memory games--very
different setting and, I expect, conclusions, but  still, fun.