(urth) Good afternoon Urth

Eric Bourland eb at hwaet.com
Wed Nov 15 19:02:34 PST 2017

Which one of you borrowed my copy of Endangered Species? ;-)

Except seriously I can't find it. It was a beat-to-hell copy of the
mass-market softcover Tor edition from 1990 with the orange cover and
the puffer-fish-lookin' critter on the cover. I have two shelves for
Wolfe and usually it's right there. . . . ah, well. I will ask for it
for Christmas.

I was doing research on sundials, and was reminded of A Solar Labyrinth,
which I re-read today. I can never decide if it's creepy or . . . .
well, it's creepy.

None of this is here or there. I have a lot more chatty appreciation of
Wolfe than learned exegesis, so mostly I pipe down and read the list,
enjoying it when there are active conversations. There's a Facebook
group where all of this chatty nonsense finds a more appropriate home.

Some questions, for those who wish to answer:

1) What are you reading?

2) What are you writing, if anything?

Eric

--
Eric Bourland
eb at hwaet.com
https://www.hwaet.com

On 11/15/2017 3:44 PM, Charles Gillingham wrote:
> Some messages go to my spam. Beyond that, the list is quiet unless
> Marc is posting something. Any of us can change that.
>
> On Nov 15, 2017 5:43 AM, "Paul Rydeen" <rydeen at bellsouth.net
> <mailto:rydeen at bellsouth.net>> wrote:
>
>     I wasn’t sure if the list was just quiet or if the list server was
>     missing me again.  Looks like it’s both.  I received Charles’
>     email about dessert but I didn’t receive any of the other emails
>     quoted in this thread.
>

>     Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
>     <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>
>
>     On Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 12:25 AM, Charles Gillingham
>     <charlesgillingham at gmail.com <mailto:charlesgillingham at gmail.com>>
>     wrote:
>
>         "Sure thing Gene, I'll make some dessert... if you tell me why
>         Severian didn't have children..."
>
>         On Nov 13, 2017 7:12 PM, "Eric Bourland" <eb at hwaet.com
>         <mailto:eb at hwaet.com>> wrote:
>
>             http://locusmag.com/2017/11/ wolfe-update/
>             <http://locusmag.com/2017/11/wolfe-update/>
>
>             FYI. What do you suppose a Care Facility is?
>
>             If I were still in Illinois I would volunteer to go to
>             Peoria and help out in some way -- wash dishes or cook or
>             do laundry or walk the dog or something -- though I can
>             imagine a thousand ways in which such assistance however
>             well-meant would quickly become misguided and awkward.
>
>             Marc, I'm looking forward to reading thoroughly your
>             three-volume exegesis. I have returned repeatedly to the
>             only volume I have seen so far, which is the first.
>
>             Eric
>
>             --
>             Eric Bourland
>             eb at hwaet.com <mailto:eb at hwaet.com>
>             https://www.hwaet.com
>

>             On 11/12/2017 12:44 PM, Marc Aramini wrote:
>>             Thanks ... I looked at Land Across again yesterday. The
>>             problem is multifoliate - I am not entirely burnt out but
>>             I am waiting for the light of stability to hit and
>>             solidify all the small details. The problem involves when
>>             certain scenes in late wolfe should be taken
>>             metaphorically: border guards say the factories make
>>             fertilizer, official instructs grafton on how to get rid
>>             of the willows (which make him think of god and heaven)
>>             and the bees (which make him think of hell) by putting
>>             plenty of fertilizer down, planting fruit trees (symbols
>>             of a strong man who instills fear even after his death in
>>             this story) ... how much of a metaphorical prophecy is
>>             that? He avoids the sting of the bees by thinking of
>>             martya’s hips sexually... seems metaphorical. Later he
>>             speculates on the actual use of the factories making
>>             “fertilizer”
>>
>>             I feel an immense responsibility in getting these last
>>             few works right as well, though the plan was to leave
>>             borrowed man a bit open ended (thousands of pages of
>>             authoritarian tyranny followed by, well, I guess you guys
>>             can read it how you want ... leave em smiling when you
>>             go. There’s nothing I can do after I am done which will
>>             ever equal the importance of this. )

> [...]

Eric Bourland
eb at hwaet.com
https://www.hwaet.com