(urth) tongue in cheek (?) wolfe profile

Eric Bourland eb at hwaet.com
Fri Nov 17 06:46:34 PST 2017

You know, I just wasted ten minutes of my morning to scold this young
man in the comments. I do not know if my comment will persist. I might
have gotten a little hot under the collar myself.

Friend,

Wolfe was drafted in his early twenties and sent to war. If you read his
Letters Home, you will learn more about that: a collection of loving,
reassuring letters that he wrote to his worried mother while he was
stationed in Korea. He was barely twenty-one or twenty-two. He's not
fascist in the slightest and not even particularly conservative; his
reflections, in books like Peace or Free Live Free, on the nation of
America are loving of America and its people and the people of the
world. If anything, he laments the foolishness of politicians. In books
like Home Fires and A Borrowed Man, you can tell he has put a great deal
of thought, and a lot of reading, into the results of fascism,
nationalism, populism, capitalism. It might come off as small-minded to
bring up his very early work in the 1960s; it's not fair or advisable to
judge the tone or intention of a writer by his juvenalia. He was drafted
by the military-industrial complex of America and sent to war. He shot
at people who were shooting at him, and none of them, I imagine, wanted
to be there. I am not trying to offend you, but the sarcastic tone of
your text comes across as anger, rather than an appreciation. You mostly
just sound angry. It's OK to be angry, but I don't know if it's useful
to take it out on Gene Wolfe. Yours,

Eric Bourland

On 11/17/2017 8:47 AM, Marc Aramini wrote:
> Here is a kind of strange profile of wolfe at the top ... I suppose it
> is supposed to be a little tongue in cheek but considering that Wolfe
> was drafted and both my parents served in the military I didn’t
> appreciate the “killing babies in Asia” line even if it was a joke ...
> a bit tone deaf.
>
> https://newpoplitinteractive.wordpress.com/

Eric Bourland
eb at hwaet.com