(urth) Long Sun and the Ancient Mediterranean

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Jan 15 18:17:39 PST 2015

On 1/4/2015 5:16 PM, Marcos Bidoli Gouvêa wrote:
> There’s an impishly Chestertonian manner to how Wolfe takes makes an
> ancient theory of apparently little relevance to us and makes it a
> genuinely exciting development in his novel. He seems to be insisting
> that history does not leave everything behind, and that what made
> sense to humans in one day can again be plausible.

I also think that he is suggesting that the Whorl is about as far in
"our" future as the ancient Greeks are in our past. And the reverse:
that we are as close to both, that humans don't change all that much
though their cultures do. That we are not that different, but that we
and they are as different as we can imagine and still */can /*imagine.