(urth) George R. R. Martin on Gene Wolfe

Daniel Otto Jack Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 11:06:34 PDT 2015

Since Lafferty came up, you might be interested in our discussion about
Puppies on the Lafferty Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/eastoflaughter/search/?query=sad%20puppies

It's the second one down, with Martin's photo.  (I don't know how to get a
link to just that thread.)

-DOJP

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Robin B. Smith <robinbsmith at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Only the Campbell Award carries much weight for me. Aren't they all
> popularity contests, more or less?
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 12:37 PM, Charles Gillingham <
> charlesgillingham at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've never read any of the Harry Potter, so I shouldn't have commented on
>> that. (I have watched all the movies (in a single day!) and really disliked
>> them all individually and overall) But I have read Storm of Swords and
>> American Gods. That there are so many Harry Potter books they should have
>> waited a year to beat out American Gods instead. But again, its just a
>> popularity context.
>>
>> I was just looking at Best Novel. Vinge deserves every award he gets.
>> He's not of the same writing caliber as Wolfe, but any fan of Wolfe is a
>> fan of intelligent sci fi. Vinge is probably the most right wing of anyone
>> that's won a Hugo. With the number that he's won so relatively recently, I
>> think that shatters the Puppies theory.

> --
> Robin B. Smith

Daniel Otto Jack Petersen